Frequently asked questions about Riding Breeches
The range of breeches brands, as well as the different wishes and requirements of their users, differ quite a bit. Whether with knee patches, full patches or the more modern grip patches, the range of breeches on the current market is huge. Our demands are as different as our bodies. Therefore, manufacturers also offer riding breeches in plus sizes as well as in overlengths to grant every rider an optimal fit. By testing and trying several models of breeches, you can find the ideal model for you over the years. Over time, many people develop a preference for certain brands and models, but the price should not be an irritant. Depending on the brand or model, the price quickly varies from affordable to moderate and even to breeches in the upper price categories. In addition, it should be said that opinions about quality are as individual as the demands.
The most important thing when choosing breeches is the fit and comfort. The breeches should ideally fit snugly and not have any creases, as at the beginning of your riding career you are still a little more unsteady in the saddle and chafing can quickly occur due to unsuitable breeches. To ensure a good hold in the saddle, it is advisable to choose breeches with full seat at the beginning. The choice between a leather or full-grip seat is irrelevant.
When temperatures are high, even under a pair of breeches it gets warm quickly. Unlike in other sports, we riders depend on the long breeches. That is why many manufacturers now offer summer breeches, which make riding in summer temperatures more pleasant thanks to the particularly thin and breathable material.
Some manufacturers also offer breeches for children. In addition to the adjusted cut and the child-friendly look - given by the larger colour range - the children's breeches are an ideal counterpart to the adult models. Especially for children, it is recommended to choose breeches with full seat. This makes it easier to balance in the saddle at the beginning.
Depending on your needs or taste, you can choose from a wide range of models and patches. Especially in dressage, breeches with a higher waistband and full seat are common. Many dressage riders like to go for the full grip seat, as this ensures the most support in the saddle. In show jumping, you mainly see breeches with knee patches. Also here, the question of grip is a matter of preference and habituation.
Just a few years ago, this question did not arise because the modern grip patch did not yet exist. The leather trim was either only applied above the knee or distributed over the entire seat area in order to strengthen the fabric and to improve support in the saddle. For more than a few years now, grip patch has been an absolute novelty on the market. The small silicone particles are evenly applied to the reinforced fabric and thus provide increased grip in the saddle. Both variants have their advantages and disadvantages. Some complain about the lack of grip when using leather trim, while others complain about the grip patch sticking too much to the saddle. Often it is simply a matter of getting used to it. Once accustomed to "leather trim" or "grip patch", many find it difficult to change.
High-quality riding breeches adapt to the shape of the body and at the same time offer the highest degree of flexibility and wearing comfort. Chafing of the knees or ankles, as well as the constant need to adjust the breeches, represent a considerable lack of wearing comfort and should not be tolerated under any circumstances. In the meantime, the quality standards of the breeches have become so high that a well-fitting, comfortable pair of breeches can be found even for little money. Unfortunately, normal signs of wear and tear can never be ruled out, but a pair of high-quality breeches should accompany you for a few years, depending on how often they are worn.
Riding breeches are heavily exposed to wear and tear in the stable and while riding, which is why washing them too often can seriously damage their structure. However, if your favourite well-worn piece becomes so dirty that there is no way around washing it, make sure you always turn it inside out and wash it at low temperatures (up to 30°C) with a mild detergent. For breeches with grip patch, it is recommended to use a special microfibre detergent to protect the grip patch, as this preserves it for longer and also cares for the fibres. The wet breeches should always be air-dried afterwards.
What functions do high-quality horse riding breeches fulfill?
Similar to the riding helmet, the riding breeches are an easily recognizable part of dressage, jumping or normal riding. Their primary use is for protection and well-being: Qualitative developments provide comfort with an ideal fit, while at the same time dampening external influences. The external appearance with our riding pants is of a long leg.
Tournament breeches have to fit precisely so that you do not feel any impairment of movement during your beloved sport. Only then do they guarantee the best possible hold in the saddle, warm the wearer and protect the skin from injuries. Of course, long-term durability plays a major role in choosing the right model. Due to the high demands in training and competition, resistance is a central requirement for all of our offers.
Which brands are available at the Fundis online store?
In order to guarantee maximum customer satisfaction, we only sell well-known suppliers and brands. Experience and standards at affordable prices. In the shop you can buy riding breeches from:
- Anna Scarpati
- Cavalleria Toscana
- Dada Sport
- Equestrian Stockholm
- Euro Star
- Imperial Riding
Competition breeches for women, men and children
The rider can only sit in the best possible way when their competition breeches fit their body properly. The clothing also influences the important interaction between horse and rider at competitions and tournaments, because the horses are overly sensitive to whether their human partner is comfortable. When buying competition breeches on the Fundis online store, make sure you have the right riding breeches size and the following properties.
Riding pants are a "material supplement" that is attached to precisely those places where the breeches are exposed to significant stress. The knees, the buttocks and the inner thighs deserve special mention here. From a functional point of view, high-quality trims provide the necessary hold when riding, and provide grip and safety. Visually, the enhancements are either discreetly based on the color of the riding pants or they are deliberately created as "eye-catchers". Attractive combinations set accents in terms of color scheme and design; they complete the important external appearance.
A distinction is made between knee patch, full seat (4/4) and 3/4 trim. Personal requirements and the respective equestrian discipline determine which variant is best for you.
Different materials are used for high-quality trims: riders can choose between fabric, leather and silicon/grip trim. Artificial leather (polyester materials) from Cavasoft, McCrown, Skytex or Pikosoft. offer comfort, control and durability.
Silicone grip scores with its slim, elegant look of chic riding breeches. With this increasingly popular equipment, riders always cut an optimal figure in show jumping and dressage riding. Silicone trim gives an ideal riding feeling with a much firmer hold. In addition, the high level of comfort provides a noticeable advantage. Select your preferred variant when buying riding pants to obtain perfect harmony and support with the best possible grip.
- Due to climatic conditions, horse lovers like to use riding breeches made of cotton fabrics in summer, which incorporate a certain amount of synthetic fibers. The models are light, elastic, skin-friendly and dissipate heat well. This results in an amazingly comfortable fit. However, cotton riding pants show a certain amount of wear and tear with regular use.
- Microfiber is a modern material, which is characterized by high elasticity and wear resistance. Thanks to the wind-repellent nature of the thin fabric, riding breeches made of microfiber ensure a pleasant climate on the skin. The quick-drying materials combine high comfort with protective functions.
- In the cold season, many customers prefer more tightly woven models made of Softshell. Softshell riding breeches are insulating, moisture-absorbing and also dry quickly. The models insulate on the inside, thus protecting riders optimally from low temperatures in the cold season. While the breathable and elastic properties guarantee the best wearing comfort, the exceptionally good durability and the advantage of repelling dirt and water ensure a long lifespan.
- Thermal breeches with full seat offer ideal protection at low temperatures but reduce contact with the horse. They are therefore a solution for horse riding in winter.
Since the 1960s, riding breeches have developed from what was once an uncomfortable garment into high-quality products with comfortable, aesthetic and functional properties. In the local range you will find offers for all seasons, for the perfect appearance at a tournament or for a relaxed ride in your free time. In addition to women's breeches and men's breeches, the Fundis online store of course sells perfectly fitting kid’s breeches.
Size, style and color
- When making your selection, note that horse riding pants are always tight to ensure the best possible control over the horse. The fit also ensures that riders do not get caught in the stirrups or the crop.
- Whether women or men, adults or children - the major equestrian brands have designed special clothing for every body type and relevant age group. Finely differentiated sizes of riding breeches offer suitable dimensions for small to large individuals. The appearance is always consistent: Girls' riding pants and boys' breeches integrate the fashion preferences of the respective age group. They combine the world of young people with the demands of equestrian sport.
- Fundis riding breeches always meet fashion requirements. With the stylish riding pants, riders always look their best and feel good all round. We stock Classic, Fancy and Jeans. Fancy gives the wearer different kinds of sparkly applications like Swarovski stones, which give the breeches a noble and eye-catching look. Classic describes a classical, plain breech without any fancy applications. Jeans are breeches who mimic the look of classic jeans, but with all the favorable properties of normal riding breeches.
- Depending on the composition of the outfit, different colors are used for the legwear. We offer products in the tried and tested equestrian colors of beige, blue, navy, brown, gray, taupe, black and white. Please refer to the product descriptions to find out which colors are possible in each case. The choice of colors is based on the requirements of the riding disciplines and the diverse preferences of our customers. Decide confidently whether to emphasize a powerful or graceful aspect.
Advantages of high-quality riding breeches
Quality riding pants are visually impressive and convey class. Because the models sit perfectly, they improve the interaction between humans and animals. More freedom of movement and relief of pressure means that the riders can react much more flexibly to new situations. Elastic fabrics also flatter the skin, and wearers find these materials very pleasant and comfortable. The smooth integration of the seams in particular reduces unnecessary pressure - and thus distraction.
Care instructions for riding pants
Correct and conscientious care extends the durability of riding breeches. After a ride, we recommend that you brush out your breeches first. This frees the material from dust and horsehair and at the same time protects your washing machine. The majority of the models offered in the Fundis online store can be easily washed in the washing machine at 30° or 40° Celsius. Please make sure to close all Velcro fasteners, zippers and snap buttons before washing. To protect particularly high-quality horse riding pants, you can place your favorites in a laundry bag.
Other equestrian accessories
In the shop you will of course find even more basic equestrian clothing, such as attractive competition shirts. A large selection of riding gloves, riding socks, riding belts, competition jackets or show coats rounds off your perfect individual outfit for equestrian sport. If you order from us, you can try the riding breeches on at home. If they do not fit, you can easily exchange or return the model within fourteen days without stating a reason.
If you have any suggestions or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Customer requests and feedback help Fundis to continually optimize its local offer to suit your interests.