Functional materials for all-round protection
Fly blankets for horses are characterised by particularly tight, fine mesh. These prevent insects from penetrating the horse's coat and skin. This provides maximum protection from unpleasant encounters with insects, even for clipped horses.
Another advantage of a fly sheet is that the materials used are particularly air-permeable and breathable. This guarantees optimal air circulation at all times and prevents the build-up of heat. We stock fly blankets with rain protection in our online shop especially for rainy days.
Combined with fly bonnets or fly masks, you can then almost cover the horse’s entire body to protect against annoying insects.
Lightweight fly sheet, fly sheet for riding or fly sheet for rain?
The fly blanket for horses offers a wide range of uses due to its fit and lightweight material. There are buckles in the chest and/or stomach area to adapt the fly sheet to the right size.
As a result, it won’t slip completely, but will still offer enough play so that insects have no areas to attack. If a fly, mosquito or similar find its way under the fly blanket, it has no chance of getting stuck.
Fits and models
In addition to the basic properties, the different models offer additional features that suit them for specific purposes. The following options are available:
- Depending on the model, the fly sheet offers optimal properties to be used as a sweat rug.
- Some fly sheets can be converted into riding blankets in no time at all. All you have to do is remove the buckle straps. Such sheets are particularly suitable for use in tournaments or as a protective blanket for horseback riding in the forest.
- Fly sheets with a neck cover are ideal for rainy days, as they are specifically designed as fly sheets for rain. A waterproof yet breathable top layer covers the fine mesh fly blanket. This second layer reliably protects the horse's body against both UV radiation and moisture.
- The fly blanket with neck cover is also available as a so-called eczema rug for horses with allergic skin diseases. This full-body model prevents summer eczema.
Fly sheets for horses: What's important?
To ensure the best possible protection, a fly blanket for horses must be completely intact. If the material is damaged, the fly sheet should be replaced, even if it's just a small hole.
This is precisely where insects can attack. Carefully check the surface of the fly riding sheet and the fly blanket with neck cover in particular at regular intervals. It is harder to spot possible weak points with these sheets.
Provide additional protection with an anti-fly gel or anti-fly spray. Special fragrances and the like have a deterrent effect on small pests. Fly repellent supplements work in a similar way. The nutrients in the feed produce a harmless odour that repels flies. At the same time, this special feed reduces the inflammatory reactions after bites.
Which fly sheet is right for my horse?
Horses are quite individual when it comes to physique and specific proportions. The back, the base of the neck and the shape of the neck muscles or the shoulder are often very different.
We stock a variety of sizes between 115 cm and 165 cm in length to ensure that you find the right model. To determine the correct size, measure the length of the back between the highest point of the wither and the base of the tail. 125 cm corresponds to size S and 165 cm to size XXL. The sizes in between increase in increments of 10.
Finding the right scrim sheet: our range
Whether it is a scrim sheet for riding, with rain protection or the lighter version for grazing on the meadow – you are sure to find the right model for your four-legged friend in our online shop. Our brands and models:
- Bucas fly sheet:
- Fly sheet with neck cover in various designs (e.g., fly sheet with rain cover)
- Design fly rug in different versions
- Eskadron fly sheet
- Lightweight fly sheet
- Kentucky Horsewear fly sheet
- Special model for sensitive horses
- Fly sheet with neck cover
- Kingsland fly sheet
- Design fly sheet
- Equiline fly sheet
- Lightweight fly blanket for horses
- Dyon fly sheet
- Lightweight fly blanket for horses
Fly sheet care
All fly sheets in our range are made of high-quality, durable materials. This is how we ensure that you are making a good investment in the safety and well-being of your horse. With the right care, you can rely on effective protection for a long time.
All models are machine washable at 30°C. Since the fine-mesh material can get caught in the washing drum, we recommend using a laundry net or similar to avoid damage such as small holes developing, while keeping the blanket hygienically clean.
Mild products without fragrances or other additives can be used as detergents. These prevent skin irritation in the horse. In any case, you should avoid using fabric softener.
If necessary, a special detergent for functional materials can also be used. Among other things, these are designed and made to maintain water-repellent membranes of fabrics.