Why is fly protection so important for your animal?
Horses are just like us humans in the stable or during training, riding, dressage or show jumping: Insects constantly buzzing around can be annoying, and they disrupt the interaction between the rider and the horse. Flies and mosquitoes can quickly become a nuisance, especially in wooded areas and near waters. While we can shoo the insects away with our hands, the horse can only shake its head or beat at them with its tail. Unfortunately, this only drives the bugs away for a short time: they return and have a negative effect on mood, concentration, and riding experience. Some insect bites also turn out to be treacherous: they are very unpleasant for a horse, can provoke inflammations or even transmit diseases such as piroplasmosis or sweet itch. Optimally designed fly bonnets therefore protect your horse from distraction, stress, inflammation and diseases.
Fly bonnets are also called fly caps. Longer models cover the area up to the noseband. Which model to choose depends on the regulations and the tolerance of your horse. Therefore, pay attention to the horse's feedback and behaviour when putting on and wearing the fly bonnet in order to find the most suitable model.
Fly bonnets for protection against insects and noise
- A fly bonnet always integrates protection for the horse's ears. This feature prevents flies from reaching and entering this important and sensitive area of the body. Horse ears are very sensitive, so various types of insects can be particularly annoying there. Without effective fly bonnets, a horse often reacts by banging its head, which can put rider and horse in danger. Some variants of the available fly bonnets offer additional benefits, such as reducing noise and muffling environmental sounds.
- It is typical that longer bonnets also cover a part of the horse's head. As a result, they do not only protect the ears, but also the upper part of the head from insects. The less disturbed the horse's senses, the better and safer the coordination between horse and rider.
Design and features of high quality fly bonnets
Because fly bonnets are simply put over the ears, the models should be very elastic in this area. Therefore, many high-quality ear bonnets are made of cotton. It is essential that the products are breathable. Only then will these protective coverings provide good wearing comfort and not disturb the horse.
- In our online shop you will find fly bonnets in various colours, designs and sizes. This way you will find the right variant for your four-legged friend.
- Leading manufacturers such as Eskadron, Equiline, Kentucky Horsewear, Equestrian Stockholm, Passier, Laguso, Kingsland and Schockemöhle Sports are available in our online shop.
- If desired, elegant patterns, glitter, attractive ornaments, or Swarovski applications provide the fashionable touch you need.
Are fly bonnets allowed at competitions?
The use of a fly bonnet at equestrian competitions in Germany is regulated by the Performance Examination Regulations (in German LPO, short for Leistungsprüfungsordnung). It is recommended to be familiar with the LPO before starting a competition in Germany. In this set of rules, the guidelines are quite strict: Regardless of the discipline, a large fly cover is prohibited. On the other hand, fly bonnets that do not extend beyond the eye line may be used. The LPO thus allows the protection of the sensitive ears, whereas eyes and nostrils must not be covered. The aim of this regulation is to ensure that the horses' perception and mobility remain undisturbed. Please also pay attention to the following instructions:
- It is forbidden to attach the fly bonnet to the noseband.
- Fly bonnets with noise protection are also prohibited at outdoor competitions. They may, however, be used indoors, provided that the sound-absorbing material does not reach into the ears or the ear canal of the animal.
Buy protective fly bonnets
Use the established and high-quality fly bonnets in our online shop when it comes to protecting your four-legged friend from annoying insects. We have a suitable model for every preference.